- Page Contents
- Application For First British Passport
- 1st British Passport For Child Born Abroad
- Application For Renewal Of British Passport
- How To Apply?
- How Long It Takes
- How Can We Help?
- How Much We Charge?
You can apply for British passport if you are already a British citizen by birth, naturalisation or registration.
You can apply for first British passport as soon as you have acquired the British nationality status due to your birth, naturalisation or registration. If the applicant is outside the UK, the applicant can apply for first British passort from outside the UK using application form OS online. An application for first British passport from outside the UK can take up to 6 months for the first British passport to be issued to the applicant.
If the applicant is inside the UK, the applicant can apply for his/her first British passport either online or using a paper form. A decision on first British passport from inside the UK is normally made within 3 to 6 weeks.
If you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent and your child is born outside the UK, your child will be British citizen by descent. You can apply for the first British passport of your child from outside the UK by showing that you are a British citizen other than by descent and your child has become British by descent as you automatically passed on your British citizenship to your child born outside the UK.
You can apply for the renewal of your British passport before or after the expiry of your British passport. If you are resident abroad, you can apply for renewal from outside the UK. If you are living in the UK, you can apply for renewal from inside the UK.
You can apply online to renew, replace or update your passport.
You can also pick up passport application forms from your local Post Office and apply by post, or use the Post Office Check and Send service.
It is cheaper to apply for a passport online than by post.
It takes up to 3 weeks to renew or replace a passport online. It may take longer for a first adult passport. You may be able to get a passport urgently to travel for compassionate reasons or work, or to prove your identity.
We can represent you in your application for British passport and carry out all the work on your application until decision is made by the HM Passport Office on your British passport application. The casework to be carried out by our immigration solicitors in relation to your application for British passport will entail the following:
- Assessing your eligibility to Britihs passport by considering your nationality status;
- Advising you on the relevant laws, procedures and requirements for an application for British passport;
- Advising you on the relevant documents to be submitted in support of your British passport application;
- Completing the relevnat application form for British passport application;
- Preparing cover letter in support of your British passport application explaining in detail your eligibility for British passport;
- Submitting the application for British passport to HM Passport Office and liaising with the HM Passport Office until decision is made by the HM Passport Office on your British passport application.
Unless your application is very complicated, our fees for an application for British passport are as given in the fee table below:
|Our Service||Our Fee|
|One-off immigration consultation/advice for British passport application||£80 (inclusive of VAT)|
|One-Off Application Checking Service / Documents Assessment||£240 (inclusive of VAT)|
|Full service for British passport application to cover all the work until decision by HM Passport Office||From £800 + VAT To £1,500 + VAT|
The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of your application for British passport and the volume of casework involved in the application. In addition to our fixed fee for British passport application, the applicant will also have to pay the the application fee to HM Passport Office.