- Page Contents
- Decision On Your Application
- Different Types Of British Nationality
- Automatic Acquisition Of British Nationality
- How Can We Help?
- How Much We Charge?
You can apply for confirmation of your British nationality status if you believe that you are entitled to British Citizenship under the UK nationality laws. The appliation is made to the Home Office, UKVI by using application form NS.
British nationality is defined in law. Whether a person has a claim to British nationality can be determined by applying the definitions and requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and related legislation, to the facts of their date and place of birth and descent.
A decision will be made by UK Visas and Immigration as to whether, on the balance of probabilities, the person making the claim holds British nationality. The decision will be in the form of a written opinion.
There are currently 6 different forms of British nationality. These are:
- British citizen
- British overseas citizen
- British overseas territories citizen
- British national (overseas)
- British subject
- British protected person
If you were issued with a British passport between 1 January 1973 and 1 January 1983 it may be stamped with “Citizen of the UK & Colonies” and “the holder has the right of abode in the UK”; or “the holder has patriality in the UK”. These stamps would indicate that the holder became, or if deceased, would have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983. If the passport says that the holder was a citizen of the UK & Colonies but does not mention right of abode or patriality, then the person is likely to have become a British overseas citizen (unless they had previously lost citizenship of the UK & Colonies before 1 January 1983). Most British overseas territories citizens (BOTC) were deemed to be British citizens from 21 May 2002 under the British Overseas Territories Act 2002.
We can represent you in your application for confirmation of British nationality status and carry out all the work on your application until decision is made by the Home Office UKVI on your application. The immigration casework to be carried out by our British nationality solicitors in relation to your application for confirmation of nationality status will entail the following:
- Assessing your claim to British Citizenship and discussing the same with you in detail in order to determine whether or not you are already a British Citizen;
- Advising you on the relevant laws, procedures and requirements for an application for confirmation of nationality status;
- Advising you on the relevant documents which can substantiate your claim to British nationality;
- Completing the relevnat application form NS for an application for confirmation of nationality status;
- Preparing cover letter in support of the application explaining in detail your claim to British nationality and seeking confirmation of the same from the Home Office, UKVI;
- Submitting the application for confirmation of nationality status to the Home Office UKVI and liaising with the Home Office, UKVI until decision on the application is made by the Home Office, UKVI.
Unless your application is very complicated, our fees for an application for confirmation of nationality status are as given in the fee table below:
|Our Service||Our Fee|
|One-off immigration consultation/advice for confirmation of British nationality status||£80 (inclusive of VAT)|
|One-Off Application Checking Service / Documents Assessment||£240 (inclusive of VAT)|
|Full service for an application for confirmation of nationality status to cover all the work until decision by the Home Office UKVI||From £800 + VAT To £1,500 + VAT|
The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of your application for confirmation of nationality status and the volume of casework involved in the application. In addition to our fixed fee for confirmation of nationality status application, the applicant will also have to pay the Home office UKVI fees for the application.