Finances in a divorce matter can be settled either by consent order made with agreement of both parties or by financial settlement order made by the divorce court. It is far less costly to achieve financial settlement by consent order made with the agreement of both parties than the finances being settled as a result of a financial order being made by the divorce court. Reaching an agreement on settlement of finances outside court is often not easy to achieve and requires strong negotiation and presentation skills. The settlement of finances can either by agreed mutually at mediation stage or during the course of financial settlement proceedings as a result of negotions between the legal representatives of both parties.

If you fail to achieve an agreement on settlement of your fiances at mediation stage, you can then apply for divorce financial settlement by completing and submitting application form A to the relevant court dealing with the divorce matter. Obtaining a financial settlement when you are divorcing your spouse is important because outstanding financial claims may come back to disrupt your lives even years after your divorce has been finalised. This is because in England and Wales, even when you’re divorced, you still retain the ability to make financial claims against your ex and vice versa, and there’s no time limit for making these. This is why it’s crucial to put your financial affairs in order and have a binding court order stating what your financial arrangements with your ex husband or wife are.

The property and money issues (divorce financial settlement) in a divorce matter can either be settled with mutual agreement in the form of a consent order approved by the divorce court or through an application for divorce financial settlement order made by a divorce court.

Specialist Divorce Settlement Solicitors

The divorce lawyers at Sunrise Solicitors are specialists in divorce financial settlement matters. Our expert team of divorce financial settlement solicitors have wealth of knowledge and experience of successfully handling divorce financial settlement matters.

Our specialist team of solicitors and lawyers can provide you with expert legal advice and representations remotely from our offices in London & Manchester. Using modern technology, we can handle your matter remotely without the need for you to visit our offices. Whilst we are more than happy to welcome clients into our offices, if this is their preference, we are proud to be able to offer our legal services remotely.

Getting divorced in England & Wales and need legal help and assistance with divorce financial settlement? Contact our expert team of divorce financial settlement solicitors in London and Manchester for fast, friendly, reliable and fixed fee legal services for your divorce financial settlement application. Ask a question to our expert divorce financial settlement solicitors for free divorce settlement advice online by completing our enquiry form and one of our divorce settlement solicitors will answer your question as soon as possible.

What Is Divorce Financial Settlement?

A divorce financial settlement is an arrangement under which a couple’s assets and financial affairs are separated upon divorce.  "Ancillary relief" is the term used by divorce lawyers to describe all orders of a financial or property nature or that relate to pensions that a divorce Court can make following divorce, judicial separation, Dissolution Of Civil Partnership, or nullity proceedings. 

When Can I Apply For Divorce Financial Settlement?

After the family court has issued Decree Nisi and after both parties have exhausted the mediation process (where applicable), an application for divorce financial settlement can be made to the court.

You can normally get a financial settlement any time during the divorce proceedings.  However, you can apply for financial settlement even after the divorce has been finalised. It’s advisable to apply for financial settlement before your partner or you have remarried.

How Are Assets Split In Divorce Financial Settlement?

The judge has the final decision on how your assets will be split. The key factors which will be taken into account in an assessment of how any capital should be divided, as well as whether or not income should be shared, are as follows:

  • Children – their financial needs as well as other factors that may affect their future wellbeing;
  • The financial needs of you and your spouse;
  • The length of the marriage and your respective ages;
  • The current earnings of each party and the potential earning capacity of each party now and in the future;
  • Health issues affecting either you, your spouse or any children;
  • The assets of each party including pensions;
  • The standard of living you have had during the marriage;
  • The financial and non-financial contributions (such as caring for children and running the house) that each of you has made to the marriage;
  • It is only in very exceptional circumstances that the conduct of you and/or your spouse is relevant when dealing with financial matters.

The judge is only likely to consider a 50/50 split if you have been married for a long time.  The main consideration is the needs of those involved, including children. If, after consideration, the judge thinks that one of you has greater need than the other, the assets can be split unequally.

If, for example, two young people divorce after a brief, childless marriage, it might be fair for them to each walk away with the assets they brought into the marriage, with neither paying the other maintenance.

On the other hand, suppose a couple have been married for 30 years, with the wife bringing up the children and looking after the home while the husband worked. A fair financial settlement might award the wife half the joint assets, including half her husband's pension entitlement and a significant proportion of her husband's income until he retires. This would reflect the value of the wife's contribution to the marriage as a homemaker and the fact that she would not now be in a position to suddenly start earning a large income.

If there are children, their needs - including maintenance - are dealt with separately as a priority.

The Matrimonial Home & Divorce Financial Settlement

The family home will almost always be an asset of the marriage and will therefore be included in the financial negotiations. Divorce settlement negotiations start from the point of a broad equality in division of assets. If one spouse wishes to retain the family home, they will need to have enough other assets to be able to offset the value of their spouse’s share of the home by transferring assets of that value to their spouse.

If not enough assets are available to achieve this, then the family home may have to be sold so that the equity contained within it can be split.

In some situations, particularly if there are children, it can be possible to be more creative, for example, one spouse could stay in the family home with the children, and the spouse leaving the home could retain a defined financial interest in the property, which they will realise at an agreed future date.

Business Assets & Divorce Financial Settlement

A family business is often looked at as something which produces an income - that can be used to provide maintenance - rather than just as an asset to be shared or sold.

There is no presumption that the individual who has built up the business has a greater claim to the business assets. The other partner's contribution to the marriage, for example, by looking after the home and children, might be considered to be equally large. Depending on the circumstances, this might mean that each partner could claim entitlement to about half the value of the business.

In many circumstances, it is possible to agree a settlement that allows the business to continue. For example:

  • one partner could retain ownership of the business and pay maintenance out of the business income;
  • the individual who will retain ownership of the business could borrow against the value of the business to provide a lump sum for the other partner;
  • the business could be split into two separate businesses.

Where possible, courts try to avoid ordering a financial settlement that results in the break-up or liquidation of a business.

Assets Held In A Trust & Divorce Financial Settlement

Divorcing parties must disclose any trusts from which they benefit or expect to benefit, and the value of these benefits can be taken into account. There can be a grey area where the trustees of the trust have discretion over who will benefit.

If one of the spouses in a divorce has previously placed assets into trust, these assets might also be taken into account. Clearly, this will be the case if the spouse who put the assets into trust is a beneficiary of the trust. It may also be possible to make a claim against the trust if it can be shown that the assets are still under the settlor's control or that the settlor created the trust once the marriage started to break down to shelter assets from a claim.

Trust law is complex. You should take advice if you wish to place assets into trust or discuss what claim you might have against assets held in trust.

Pension & Divorce Financial Settlement

Your pension is a marital asset, like your home and other assets. The value of your pension can be taken into account in deciding a fair settlement. Practical solutions can include:

  • offsetting the value of one spouse's pension fund by transferring a lump sum, or other assets, to the other spouse;
  • splitting the pension fund into two separate pension funds, one for each spouse;
  • arranging that when a pension comes to be paid, a proportion of it is paid to the other spouse.

Overseas Assets & Divorce Financial Settlement

Assets held overseas can be taken into consideration in the same way as any other assets. In practice, a spouse may seek to hide overseas assets or transfer assets overseas to make them more difficult to recover. If you suspect that your spouse is doing this, take immediate legal advice.

Life Insurance Or Endowment Policies & Divorce Financial Settlement

Life insurance and endowment policies are taken into account when agreeing a fair settlement. You should agree how each policy will be handled, whether premiums will continue to be paid for regular contribution policies, and whether the beneficiaries of any life insurance cover will be changed.

You may choose to retain individual policies or to sell (or surrender) them. Any policies in joint names will normally be sold or transferred into one individual's name. Early surrender of a policy may result in a sharp fall in the expected value of the policy; any surrender, sale or transfer may also have tax consequences. Take advice on the best option in your circumstances.

Inheritance & Divorce Financial Settlement

A judge will not necessarily include an inheritance in your financial settlement, but will consider the needs of those involved. If you received your inheritance while you were married, the courts are more likely to include it as part of the settlement, but if it was received after your marriage broke down, they are more likely to exclude it.

Court Procedure For Divorce Financial Settlement

The divorce financial settlement proceedings are very much Court-controlled. The Court will impose timetables for compliance with its orders and the parties will usually be required to personally attend all Court hearings. There may well be costs consequences for failing to adhere to timetables, to obey Court orders and to attend hearings.

Following is the step by step process for divorce financial settlement:

Step 1: Notice of Application - Form A

A divorce financial settlement application is started by filing with the Court Form A application ('Notice of an application for a financial order'), accompanied by a cheque in the sum of £255 without consent and £50 with consent, being the court fee payable.

Step 2: First Directions Appointment (FDA) date

The Court then sends each party a sealed copy of the Form A, accompanied by both a Notice of First Appointment (Form C) and a Notice of Response to First Appointment (Form G). Form C is the most important of these because:

  • It contains details of the date and time of the First Appointment (that will be in 12 to 16 weeks' time);
  • It contains the timetable for the case up to the initial hearing date of it (the "First Appointment"). This timetable provides the dates for the parties to file with the Court and to exchange with each other:
    • A Statement of Information about their financial circumstances (known as a Form E) no later than 35 days before the First Appointment;
    • A concise statement of the apparent issues between the parties;
    • A chronology;
    • Either a questionnaire setting out the further information and documents each requires from the other, or, a statement that no such information or documents are required;
    • A completed Notice in Form G, stating whether the party will be in a position at the First Appointment to treat that hearing as a Financial Dispute Resolution hearing ("FDR").
  • The Form C also provides that an estimate in Form H of any legal costs incurred by the party be produced to the Court at the First Appointment and a copy supplied to the other party.

Step 3: Financial statement - Form E

Each party to the divorce financial settlement completes a Form E (Financial Statement) and sends the same to the court at least five weeks before the First Directions Appointment (FDA). Copy of the form E is also sent to the other party.

Step 4: First Directions Appointment (FDA) Documents

The following documents are filed 2 weeks before the First Directions Appointment (FDA):

  • A concise statement of issues;
  • A chronology of events;
  • A questionnaire to address issues arising from the Form E;
  • A Form G, through which you tell the court whether the FDA meeting can be combined with the Financial Dispute Resolution (FDR) meeting. Typically the FDR meeting takes place after the FDA meeting.

Step 5. Legal Costs Incurred By Each Party- Form H

Each party completes and sends the court a completed Form H just before the FDA meeting, listing any costs they have incurred.

Step 6: First Directions Appointment (FDA) Meeting At Court

The first hearing of a divorce financial settlement application is termed "The First Appointment". The First Appointment is a directions hearing that has to be attended personally by both parties unless the court orders otherwise. The objectives of the First Appointment are to define the issues in dispute between the parties and to save costs. The hearing takes place before a member of the judiciary called a "District Judge" who must determine:

  • The extent to which any questionnaires served by the parties seeking further information must be answered; and
  • The documents that must be produced and to give directions for the production of such further documents as are necessary.

The Judge must also give directions about such matters as:

  • The valuation of assets, most usually the matrimonial home;
  • The obtaining and exchanging of expert evidence, most usually with regard to the value of pension assets, if required;
  • The evidence to be produced by each party; and
  • The preparation of further chronologies or schedules (where appropriate).

It is assumed that the District Judge does decide that an FDR is appropriate. It is possible for the court to treat the First Appointment as an FDR. It may be remembered that the Form G can be completed accordingly. However, experience is that few First Appointments are treated as FDRs. The reasons for this include:

  • That there are usually outstanding issues regarding the valuation of the parties' assets, particularly the former matrimonial home;
  • The replies to the parties' respective questionnaires and requests for documentation are required before negotiations can take place;
  • An insufficiency of court time. The majority of courts list First Appointments with a time estimate of 30 minutes and FDR's for one hour, this with a requirement that the parties and their advisors attend an hour before the actual FDR for the purposes of negotiations and in order to narrow the issues between them.

Step 7: File Proposals

Both sides answer questionnaires, prepare evidence, and submit proposals to the court for the divorce financial settlement. Both sides also submit a second Form H, listing updated costs.

Step 8: Financial Dispute Resolution (FDR) Hearing

The second of the three most likely court hearings in respect of an ancillary relief application is the Financial Dispute Resolution ("FDR"):

  • The FDR appointment must be treated as a meeting held for the purpose of discussion and negotiation.
  • Both parties must personally attend the FDR unless the court orders otherwise.
  • The Judge or District Judge hearing the FDR appointment must have no further involvement in the case, other than to conduct any further FDR appointment or to make a consent order if agreement is reached, or to make a further directions order.
  • Not later than 7 days before the FDR appointment, the Applicant for ancillary relief must file with the Court details of all offers, proposals and the responses to these.
  • This includes any offers, proposals or responses that are made wholly or partly "without prejudice" (that is, usually privileged from disclosure to the Court).
  • At the conclusion of the FDR appointment, any documents filed with the Court under point 4 above and any filed documents referring to them must be returned to the party filing them at his/her request and not retained on the Court file.
  • Parties attending the FDR appointment must use their best endeavours to reach agreement on the matters in issue between them.
  • The FDR appointment may be adjourned from time to time.
  • At the conclusion of the FDR appointment, the Court may make an appropriate Consent Order (if the parties have agreed terms of settlement) but must otherwise give directions for the future course of proceedings, including, where appropriate, the filing of evidence and fixing a final hearing date.

Experience has been that few cases settle at an FDR appointment. There are a number of reasons for this including:

  • The fact that some cases simply seem incapable of being settled by agreement. They require judicial determination;
  • In other cases the observations made by the Judge or District Judge with regard to the bases for settlement of a case do not find favour with one, other or even both of the parties;
  • Some parties, quite understandably, want more time to consider decisions that, once made, could have profound repercussions for their futures.

It is, however, important to remember that no guillotine falls with regard to negotiations between the parties following the FDR appointment. The parties can continue to negotiate up to the time of their Final Hearing, if indeed there is one.

Step 9: Further Proposals

The negotiations continue between the two sides, including revised proposals for settlement that are sent to the court and to the other party.

Step 10: Final Hearing

"Final hearings" probably only occur in some 10% of cases involving an application for ancillary relief. If a final hearing is necessary, in addition to listing the matter for such, the Judge dealing with the case at the FDR stage is likely to make what is known as an "order for directions". Typically such an order will require the parties to:

  • File (with the Court) and exchange (with each other) what are termed "narrative" or "Section 25" (of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973) statements. That legislation contains details of the matters to which the Court is to have regard in deciding how to exercise its powers when dealing with ancillary relief applications, first consideration being given to the welfare, while a minor, of any child of the family who has not attained the age of eighteen;
  • Provide updating of the financial disclosure previously made by them, whether in their respective Financial Statements (Forms E) or subsequently. It should be borne in mind that a period of 9 to 12 months may have elapsed between the filing and exchange of Forms E and the date of the final hearing;
  • Produce up to date valuations of assets such as the former matrimonial home, business interests, pension funds and similar items.

Recent experience is that a minimum of two days will be allocated to the final hearing of a case, even where the issues between the parties and the extent of their assets are relatively limited. At a final hearing, the parties will each give evidence on oath that is subject to cross-examination. There is also likely to be a detailed consideration of the documentation produced by both parties. Generally, the parties' cases will be presented by barristers (or "counsel") who will both represent their respective clients and make representations on their behalf.

Depending upon matters such as the complexity of the case, judgment may not be given at the conclusion of the hearing but "reserved" to be given at some subsequent date.

How Much We Charge?

Our fixed fees for divorce / dissolution of civil partnership / annulment and/or financial settlement matters are as given in the fee table below:

Matter Type Fixed Fee Range

Uncontested divorce / dissolution of civil partnership / annulment

From £700 + VAT to £1200 + VAT

Contested divorce / dissolution of civil partnership / annulment

From £3000 + VAT to £6000 + VAT

Preparation for mediation for financial settlement, mediation referral and follow up advice

From £500 + VAT to £800 + VAT
In case of agreement being reached in mediation, reviewing agreement and advising on the same. Where acting for the petitioner, preparing and filing of consent order with the family court From £800 + VAT to £1500 + VAT
All the work from issuing financial proceedings for financial settlement until First Appointment Hearing  From £2,500 + VAT to £5,000 + VAT
All the work after First Appointment Hearing until First Dispute Resolution (FDR) Hearing From £4,500 + VAT to £8,000 + VAT
All the work after First Dispute Resolution (FDR) Hearing until the Final Hearing From £6,000 + VAT to £12,000 + VAT
  • We will quote a fixed fee for your matter once we have fully assessed your matter and taken all the relevant factors into consideration.
  • Our fixed fees do not cover any third party fees including court fees, Barrister's fees and any other fees payable to third party.
  • If you do not want to instruct us on fixed fee basis, we can also act for you on hourly rate basis with an hourly rate ranging from £200 + VAT to £300 + VAT per hour depending on the complexity of the matter.

How Much Is The Court Fee For Divorce Financial Settlement Order?

  • The court fee for filing divorce financial settlement application in the family court is £275 without consent and £53 with consent which has to be paid at the time of filing the application. Petitioners with very low income may qualify for court fee exemption.

Our Team Of Leading Divorce & Family Lawyers

As specialist divorce and family lawyers based in London and Manchester, we pride in having one of the best team of specialist divorce and family lawyers with wealth of knowledge and experience to deal with all types of divorce and family law matters. Our top rated divorce and family lawyers have successfully helped thousands of clients with all types of divorce and family law matters including getting a divorce, divorce financial settlement, spousal maintenance, child arrangements orders, non-molestation and occupation orders, contesting non-molestation orders etc.

Following are the leading divorce and family lawyers and solicitors in our team of divorce and family lawyers:

Book An Appointment Online

You can book an appointment online using the appointment booking form below: 

FAQs - Divorce Financial Settlement

What Assets Are Split In Divorce Financial Settlement?

The adjustment of assets/finances covered by the financial court order may include the following:

  • property
  • money
  • shares
  • savings
  • pensions
  • debts
  • children/spousal maintenance
Does Spousal Behaviour Affect The Divorce Financial Settlement?

Normally, the behaviour of your spouse including adultery or unreasonable behaviour does not affect the divorce financial settlement. The grounds for divorce you use to obtain a divorce have no bearing on your financial settlement. Extreme behaviour may be taken into account by the court, for example, if one partner's violence has had a lasting effect on the other. If one partner recklessly or deliberately sabotages the financial position, for example, by spending recklessly or destroying assets, this could also be taken into account.

What is a ‘clean break’ divorce financial settlement?

A clean break divorce financial settlement is where no ongoing financial commitments remain between you and your spouse. The phrase ‘a clean break’ is particularly used as the opposite of an order where there is ongoing spousal maintenance payable, usually monthly, from one spouse to the other.

A clean break is only possible in relation to the financial claims between spouses. It is not possible to have a clean break in relation to financial obligations towards your children.

What if I don’t have any assets to split?

In case you and your ex-partner have no assets to divide, you should also apply for a financial settlement. It’s important to do so, even if you don’t have any assets to divide at the time of the divorce. There’s no guarantee you won’t come into some money in the future and if you haven’t obtained a financial settlement, your ex is still within their legal rights to make a financial claim.

Once a 'clean break' agreement of this kind has been ratified by court order, neither of you will be able to go back to court in the future to ask for maintenance or further transfer of assets. This gives both partners a much greater degree of certainty and allows them to completely disentangle their individual financial affairs.

Will any payments I make to my spouse while we are separated affect the final divorce settlement?

Not usually. It may be unwise to make excessively large payments to your spouse, because it might be argued that this shows both their need for such payments (or an equivalent transfer of assets) and your ability to pay.

Even so, any financial settlement should take into account the longer-term history of the marriage and future financial prospects.

On the other hand, if your spouse needs maintenance while you are separated, it would normally be sensible to provide it. Failure to do so is likely to make your spouse more hostile towards you.

Your spouse might apply to the court for an interim financial order requiring you to pay an appropriate level of maintenance. Both of these are likely to increase the overall level of ill feeling - and costs - in reaching a final agreement.

What effect will it have if I move out of the family home before we are divorced?

You will still have the same rights to occupy the home as you had before and can move back in if you choose.

There may be practical problems if, for example, your spouse changes the locks. While you will be entitled to get back in, it makes sense to ensure that you take anything you may need - such as important documents - with you in the first place.

There may also be other considerations so it is advisable to take advice before moving out.

Are there any precautions I should take during a divorce, for example, to stop my spouse taking cash from our joint account?

If your spouse can make withdrawals from a joint account without your agreement, you run the risk that some or all of the money will be taken. You will also be jointly liable for any debts run up on the account.

If you need access to the money or if you suspect that your spouse may misuse it, you may want to close the account. The same applies to any other form of joint borrowing or spending facility, such as a joint credit card.

However, if you suddenly freeze accounts that your spouse needs for living expenses, this will create problems. Your spouse will want you to make appropriate maintenance payments and may apply to the court for an interim financial order.

If your spouse is the sole owner of the family home, you should apply to the Land Registry to register an interest in the property. This will prevent the house being sold without your consent.

Is our divorce settlement affected if one of us remarries or starts cohabiting with a new partner?

If you remarry without having reached a financial settlement with your former spouse, you may lose the right to make any financial claim against your former spouse. He or she will still have the same right to make a financial claim against you as before.

If you have previously reached a clean break settlement, the remarriage (or cohabitation) will normally have no effect - you have already made a once and for all agreement.

If you are paying your former spouse maintenance (this does not include child maintenance), maintenance ceases if the recipient remarries (but not if the recipient merely starts to cohabit).

In any case, if your former spouse's financial position improves, you can apply to the court to stop paying maintenance or to pay a reduced amount.

If you are receiving maintenance from your former spouse, you should normally continue to do so after he or she remarries.

How long will it take to sort out our divorce and financial settlement?

Obtaining a divorce typically takes about six months. The process can take longer if anyone fails to deal with the various pieces of paperwork promptly.

How long financial settlement takes depends very much on your relationship with your spouse and the complexity of your financial affairs. Often, the financial settlement can be negotiated over the same period as the divorce proceedings, and is then confirmed by a consent order.

Where there is an agreed financial outcome, it is possible to obtain a court order embodying the agreement (consent order) and your decree absolute within 6 months from start to finish.

Where an agreement is not reached, it could take between 12 – 18 months to conclude form the date an application for financial settlement is made to the court.

Who pays the legal fees for a divorce financial settlement?

In most cases, both parties will have their own solicitor and will be responsible for their own legal fees. Only in unusual circumstances will the court consider conduct in the proceedings or the process of disclosure as a justification for an order for costs being made against the other party.

While negotiating a financial settlement you each use - and are responsible for paying - your own lawyer. As part of the settlement, however, one of you might negotiate that the other should pay part or all of their legal fees.

You can keep your legal fees down by agreeing as much as possible among yourselves. Fees can mount up if hostile spouses insist on conducting all negotiations through lawyers while arguing over trivial details. 

What orders can the court make in divorce financial settlement?

The court has power to make orders for a spouse including:-

  • Periodical payments (maintenance or alimony)
  • Secured provision (maintenance that is charged against an asset)
  • Lump sum (a cash payment)
  • Transfer of property (where one legal ownership of an asset is taken away from one spouse and transferred to the other)
  • (except upon decree of judicial separation) a pension  attachment and a pension sharing order
  • Agreed child maintenance orders, school fees orders and/or top up orders where there is a maximum Child Maintenance Service assessment.
Can money one of us expects to inherit be taken into account when we divorce?

Usually not unless you are about to receive the inheritance.

Will a prenuptial agreement protect my assets if we divorce?

Pre Nuptial Agreements are not legally binding in the UK but are considered to be pursuasive for the judge to exercise discretion in deciding the financial settlement by giving weight to the pre nupital agreement. Pre-Nups, Post Nups and Pre-civil registration agreements cannot exclude the authority of the Court when dealing with financial issues when a marriage or civil partnership irretrievably breaks down. When divorce arises, the court has discretionary powers to distribute assets as the Judge sees is in the best interest of the parties/children/individual circumstances. The prenuptial agreement which has been entered into fairly and after taking appropriate legal advice may have persuasive authority for the judge to exercise discretion and give weight to the same in distribution of assets.

The caveat is that while UK courts will recognise prenuptial agreements, they also still have the ultimate discretion to ignore any agreement reached if the agreement is deemed to be unfair to any children of the marriage.

What can I do if I find out my spouse has assets or income not disclosed when we agreed the divorce settlement?

You can go to court to get the financial settlement altered.

What can I do if I cannot afford the maintenance payments to my former spouse?

You can go to court to ask them to change the maintenance order to reflect your circumstances. For example, you might do this if you lose your job and cannot find another one.

Is it possible to reopen a divorce financial settlement?

It is possible to reopen a divorce financial settlement, but extremely rare. In most circumstances, once a financial settlement has been officially recorded in the form of a consent order, the financial ties between the divorcing couple are broken and neither of them will be entitled to make financial claims in the future.

However, a precedent set during the case of Barder vs Barder (1987) means that a court may allow a financial settlement to be reopened if something later happens that alters the principle on which the original consent order was made.

Before the court will agree to reopen a settlement, four key factors need to be satisfied:

  • A new event(s) occurs that invalidates the basis, or fundamental assumption, on which the original consent order was made.
  • The new event(s) must have occurred within a relatively short time after the consent order was made.
  • The request to re-open the financial settlement is made soon after the new event occurs.
  • The appeal does not prejudice any rights to assets acquired by third parties (for example, if a house has been sold to an unconnected third party).

Successful applications to reopen financial settlements are rare but they do happen – for example, in the case of Critchell v Critchell (2015).

Am I entitled to spousal maintenance after a divorce?

This will depend on many factors including:

  • How long you were married
  • The standard of living you enjoyed before the divorce
  • Your respective financial needs and the financial needs of any dependent children
  • The current earnings of each party
  • The potential earning capacity of each party in the future
  • The contribution made to the marriage, either financial or by caring for children and looking after the family home

For example, if a young couple with no children have been married for only a short time and both are working, then it may be fair for them both to leave the marriage with no ongoing financial ties and taking with them what they brought into the marriage.

If a couple have been married for 25 years and by agreement the wife gave up a career to bring up the family at home, while the husband became the sole bread winner, then the wife's future earnings capability may be severely compromised.

In these circumstances the wife should not be penalised for her lack of earnings ability and may be entitled to ongoing spousal maintenance.

How courts deal with pensions in divorce financial settlement?

When a marriage or civil partnership ends, courts deal with the pension arrangements in one of 3 ways.

  1. You’re given a percentage share of your former partner’s pension pot. This is known as pension sharing. The money that you get from the pension pot of your former spouse or civil partner is then legally treated as your money.
  2. The value of a pension is offset against other assets. This is known as pension offsetting. For example: you keep your pension and your former spouse or civil partner keeps the home.
  3. Some of your pension is paid to your former partner. This is known as pension attachment or sometimes pension earmarking. This is like a maintenance payment directly from one person’s pension pot to their former spouse or civil partner. Under this arrangement, money from your tax-free lump sum can also go to your former spouse or civil partner.

What Our Clients Say About Us In Google Reviews?

  • Sunrise solicitors helped me successfully with a no time limit application, offering excellent advice. My case worker was Laureine Roche-Mani who was very helpful in checking and organizing the large number of documents that needed to be submitted as part of my application and keeping me well informed throughout the process. I would recommend their services and would use them again for future applications.
  • Sunrise were very quick to respond to my query. The advice was clear and fully answered my question. Many thanks!
  • So pleased and grateful for their prompt response to my enquiries. Very professional. Many thanks and best of luck.
  • I submitted a query via their website for free advice. They were very detailed and helpful in their feedback. I really appreciated it!
  • Absolutely a 5 star service..!! Quick, professional and excellent service! Despite the pandemic, Mr Arshad Mahmood and the staff were extremely helpful and even if I had a small doubt their team will answer to my query efficiently and without delay. Thank you so much for all your knowledge and hard work.