You can apply to register as a BOTC at the discretion of the Secretary of State if you meet all the relevant requirements of Section 4A of BNA 1981. Registration under s.4A gives British citizenship otherwise than by descent. Applications under s.4A should normally be made on Form B(OTA).
A person, whether an adult or a minor, may be registered as a British citizen at the Home Secretary's discretion under s.4A of the British Nationality Act 1981, as inserted by the British Overseas Territories Act 2002, if he or she:
- is a British overseas territories citizen (BOTC); and
- does not have that citizenship only by virtue of a connection with the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia; and
- has not previously ceased to be a British citizen as a result of a declaration of renunciation
- satisfies the Secretary of State that they are of good character
Our expert team of nationality law solicitors in London, Manchester and Birmingham can represent you in your application for registration as a British Citizen and carry out all the work on your British Citizenship application until a decision on your application is recieved from the Home Office UKVI. As part of our professional legal services in relation to your application for registration as a British Citizen, our specialist team of immigration solicitors will carry out the following immigration casework:
- We will assess your eligibility for registration as a British Citizen by considering all the relevant information including your past immigration history;
- We will advise you on the chances of success in your application for registration as a British Citizen and would draw your attention to any weaknesses in your application;
- We will advise you on the list of documents to be submitted in support of your application for registration as a British Citizen;
- We will assess all the supporting documents to ensure that the documents you provide duly satisfy the Home Office UKVI requirements for registration as a British Citizen;
- We will complete the relevant application form online for your registration as a British citizen, submit the same online, help you pay the Home Office UKVI fee for the application and schedule your appointment with the application centre for enrolment of your biometrics;
- We will prepare a detailed cover letter in support of the application explaining in detail your eligibility for registration as a British Citizen by referring to all the relevant information, documents, laws and requirements;
- We will upload all the supporting documents online to be considered in support of the application including our cover letter prepared to suppport your application;
- We will carry out all the work on your application for registration as a British Citizen until a decision is received from the Home Office UKVI on your application.
Unless your application is very complicated, our fees for an application for registration as a British Citizen are given in the fee table below:
|Our Service||Our Fee|
|One-off immigration consultation/advice for registration as a British Citizen||£80 (inclusive of VAT)|
|One-Off Application Checking Service / Documents Assessment||£240 (inclusive of VAT)|
|Full service for registration as a British Citizen to cover all the work until decision by the Home Office UKVI||From £1,000 + VAT To £1,500 + VAT|
The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of your registration application and the volume of casework involved in the application. In addition to our fixed fee for registration application, the applicant will also have to pay the Home office UKVI fees for the registration application.