Sunrise Solicitors based in London, Manchester and Birmingham are one of the leading divorce & family law solicitors in the UK. Our expert team of divorce and family law solicitors deal with wide range of matters involving divrce and family law including UK divorce, judicial separation, dissolution of civil partnership, divorce financial settlement, financial settlement in England after an overseas divorce, Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders and Child Arrangements Orders etc.

Ask a question to our expert family law solicitors for free family law advice online by completing our enquiry form and one of our legal experts will answer your question as soon as possible. Our expert team of divorce & family law solicitors can also provide detailed family law advice in relation to your divorce & family law matter. You can book an appointment for a detailed divorce & family law advice / full consultation concerning your divorce & family law matter for just £80 (VAT included).

Our Divorce & Family Law Services

Our expert team of divorce and family law solicitors provide legal services in relation to the following divorce and family law matters:

Getting Divorced In England & Wales

Our expert team of divorce lawyers in London, Manchester and Birmingham can provide expert legal help and assistance with getting divorce in England & Wales. Our team of divorce lawyers can help with all types of divorce matters including uncontested divorce where both parties agree to divorce and contented divorce where the Respondent to divorce petition does not agree to divorce and would contest the divorce.

We also deal with divorces involving divorce financial settlement (whether with consent or without consent), spousal maintenance and other matters such as child arrangements orders and deal with such issues during the divorce proceedings. READ MORE

UK Divorce Financial Settlement

A divorce financial settlement is the term the Court use to describe financial proceedings within a divorce. A divorce financial settlement is an arrangement under which a couple’s assets and financial affairs are separated upon divorce. "Ancillary relief" is the term used by lawyers to describe all orders of a financial or property nature or that relate to pensions that a Court can make following divorce, judicial separation, Dissolution Of Civil Partnership, or nullity proceedings. 

On a divorce, Dissolution Of Civil Partnership, nullity, judicial separation and dissolution of civil partnership, the court has  power to make an order for financial settlement. The court does not have power to make a capital order or a final financial order until a decree has been pronounced, but can make an order for interim maintenance with effect from the date of the petition. READ MORE

Dissolution Of Civil Partnership

Our expert team of dissolution lawyers based in London, Manchester and Birmingham can provide expert legal help and assistance with dissolution of civil partnership in England & Wales. We can help with all types of dissolution matters including uncontested dissolution where both parties agree to the disssolution and contented dissolution where the Respondent to dissolution petition does not agree to dissolution of civil partnership and would contest the dissolution.

We also deal with dissolution of civil partnership involving financial settlement (whether with consent or without consent), spousal maintenance and other matters such as child arrangements orders and deal with such issues during the dissolution proceedings. READ MORE

Annulment Of Marriage Or Civil Partnership

Annulment (sometimes known as ‘nullity’) is a different way of ending a marriage or civil partnership. You or your spouse or civil partner must have either:

  • lived in England or Wales for at least a year
  • had a permanent home in England or Wales for at least 6 months

Unlike divorce or dissolution of civil partnership, you can apply for annulment in the first year of your marriage/civil partnership or any time after. However, if you apply years after the marriage or civil partnership, you might be asked to explain the delay. You’ll need to show that the marriage or civil partnership:

  • was never legally valid (‘void’)
  • was legally valid, but meets one of the reasons that makes it ‘voidable’. READ MORE

Judicial Separation Instead Of Divorce Or Dissolution

A legal/judicial separation allows you to live apart, without divorcing or ending a civil partnership. You can apply for a judicial separation for the same reasons/grounds you could file for a divorce or end a civil partnership. However, you do not need to show that the marriage or civil partnership has broken down irretrievably. READ MORE

Pre Nuptial Agreements

A prenuptial agreement (often known as prenup agreement) is a formal pre marital written agreement between two partners. The prenuptial agreement sets out ownership of all the belongings including money, assets and property and explains how these will be divided in the event of the breakdown of their marriage. READ MORE

Separation/Financial Settlement Agreement

A spearation/financial settlement agreement is a written agreement between two partners whose relationship has broken down and who are not yet ready for divorce of marriage or dissolution of civil partnership. It’s a written agreement that – typically – sets out your financial arrangements while you are separated. 

If your marriage breaks down but both parties do not wish to file for a divorce or cannot do so immediately, it is advisable to have financial settlement agreement setting out the terms on which you will separate.All matters arising from a separation should be negotiated between parties. Full and complete disclosure of finances should be made by both parties. You can enter into separation/financial settlement agreement whether you are married or unmarried partners. READ MORE

Financial Settlement In England After An Overseas Divorce

If you have already been divorced abroad and obtained no financial settlement or the financial settlement made in the other country was inadequate, you may be able to apply to the English Court for a financial settlement order against your former spouse. 

The English family courts have the ability to grant divorce financial provision even though a divorce may have been previously pronounced abroad and financial provision already made. The purpose of the legislation, known as Part III of the Matrimonial and Family Proceedings Act 1984 (“Part III”) is to alleviate the adverse consequences of no, or no adequate, financial provision made on divorce by a foreign court in a situation where the parties had substantial connections with England. READ MORE

Child Arrangements Orders (Section 8 Orders)

Child Arrangements Orders were introduced in April 2014 by the Children and Families Act 2014 (which amended section 8 Children Act 1989). They replace Contact Orders and Residence Orders.

In England and Wales a Child Arrangements Order is a Court Order that sets out details of who is responsible for the care of a child. This type of Court Order is usually used in cases where the parents cannot agree between them how to split the care of their child/children. A ‘child arrangements order’ decides:

  • where your child lives;
  • when your child spends time with each parent;
  • when and what other types of contact take place (phone calls, for example).

‘Child arrangements orders’ replace ‘residence orders’ and ‘contact orders’. Parents with these orders do not need to re-apply. READ MORE

Getting Injunctions (Non-Molestation Orders & Occupation Orders)

An injunction is a court order that a named person should or should not do something. Usually, in family law, people want injunctions against a husband, wife or partner. However, we may be able to apply for an order against anyone in your family, or with whom you have had a close relationship, who has used violence against you. You can also seek protection for your child.

An emergency injunction is an informal description for a court order made without notice/ex parte – it means the person you are applying against will not be aware of the injunction until it is served on him/her.

There are two basic types of injunctions the court can make under the Family Law Act 1996:

  • A non-molestation order is a a court order (injunction) that protects you or your child from being harmed or threatened by the person who has abused you. It is a civil order obtained by a victim of domestic abuse from a Judge (or Magistrates) through the Family Court.
  • An occupation order is an order that someone must leave the home where you live, or allow you to return there if you have already left, or is only allowed to occupy certain parts of the home. READ MORE

Contesting Non-Molestation Orders/Applications

Received a notice of non-molestation application or an ex parte non-molestation order from the family court? our expert family law solicitors can provide legal help and assistance with contesting the non-molestation order or application.

Responding to non-molestation orders or applications requires some careful thought and consideration. It is all too easy for people to get caught up in the case because of the emotional attachment between the parties. Many respondents feel aggrieved when they see that a person (typically an ex-partner) has sought to take out a court order against them on the basis of what they say are vicious lies. With that, many people opt to fight against an order simply because they do not want the applicant to ‘win’, or for their own name to be blackened. However, a respondent should always consider what challenging the order is actually going to gain. READ MORE

Sunrise Solicitors is the trading name of Sunrise Solicitors Ltd (company registration no. 6405492). Sunrise Solicitors Offices are regulated by SRA under SRA ID 490903 (London Office) and SRA ID 645256 (Manchester Office). Sunrise Solicitors are also members of Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA).

Copyright © 2019 Sunrise Solicitors, All rights reserved