Do I have to have a Student visa or Tier 4 General student visa to apply for Switching into Graduate Route visa?
According to the Home Office UKVI Immigration Rules on switching into Graduate Route visa, the applicant must have, or have last had, permission to stay in the UK as a Student / Tier 4 General Student.
What is Graduate Route / Post Study Work (PSW) visa UK?
The Graduate route, also known as Post Study Work (PSW) visa route is for a Student in the UK who wants to work, or look for work, following the successful completion of an eligible course of study at UK bachelor’s degree-level or above. The study must have been with a higher education provider with a track record of compliance. The Graduate route is an unsponsored route. The Graduate route visa category will become operational from 0900 on 1 July 2021.
Who can apply for switching into Graduate route visa from inside the UK?
Any Student / Tier 4 General having a valid leave to remain as a student / Tier 4 General student who has completed an eligible qualification will be able to apply for switching into Graduate route from 1 July 2021.
Is Graduate route (PSW visa route) a route to settlement?
Can I apply for Graduate route visa from outside the UK?
No, you can only apply for switching into graduate route visa from inside the UK. You can apply for entry clearance for Graduate route visa from outside the UK.
Can I apply for Graduate Route visa if I previously held Doctorate Extension Scheme(DES) in the UK?
No, you cannot apply for Graduate Route visa (Post Study Work visa) if you previously held Doctorate Extension Scheme(DES) visa in the UK.
Can I apply for Graduate Route visa if I previously held Graduate Route visa in the UK?
No, you cannot apply for Graduate Route visa (Post Study Work visa) if you previously held Graduate Route visa in the UK.
How can I apply for switching from Student visa to Graduate Route visa from inside the UK?
You can apply online for switching from Student / Tier 4 General student visa to Graduate route visa. You must provide a degree certificate, academic transcript or an academic reference on official headed paper of the institution. You may have been sponsored in your studies by Her Majesty’s Government, your home government or any international scholarship agency. If you have had such sponsorship within the past 12 months, you must provide Home Office UKVI with the Government or international scholarship agency’s unconditional consent in writing, giving you their permission to remain in, or re-enter, the UK.
What are the points requirements for Graduate Route visa UK?
The applicant must be awarded a total of 70 pointsbased on the table below:
||Relevant Requirements To Be Met
||Number Of Points
|Successful course completion
- Successful completion requirement
- Qualification requirement
- Study in the UK requirement
What is a successful course completion requirment for Graduate Route visa UK?
- The applicant must have last been sponsored by a Student sponsor which is a higher education provider with a track record of compliance on the date of application;
- The applicant must have successfully completed the course of study which was undertaken during their last grant of permission to study on the Student route (wherethe applicant was allowed to change their course ofstudy without applying for further permission as a Student, this requirement only applies to the course to which they changed);
- The student sponsor must have notified the Home Office, by the date of Graduate route application, that the applicant has successfullycompleted the relevant course of study.
What is the qualification requirement for Graduate Route visa UK?
The applicant will meet the qualification requirement if they have successfully completed acourse of study for which they have been or will be awarded a UK bachelor’s degree, a UK postgraduate degree, or successfully completed a relevant qualification listed below.
A relevant qualification is one ofthe following:
- a law conversion course validated by the Joint Academic Stage Board in England and Wales; or
- the Legal Practice Course (LPC) in England and Wales, the Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland; or
- the Bar Practice Course in England and Wales, or the Bar Course in Northern Ireland; or
- a foundation programme in Medicine or Dentistry; or
- a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE); or
- a professional course requiring study at UK bachelor’s degree level or above in a profession with reserved activities that is regulated by UK law or UK public authority.
If the name of the applicant’s course of study was changed by the Student sponsor, but the course content remained the same, or if an integral and assessed work placement or permitted study abroad programme was added, this will not prevent the applicant being able to meet the qualification requirement.
The qualification must have been gained during the last grant of permission to study as a Student / Tier 4 General Student, or in the period of permission immediately before the applicant’s last grant of permission, if the last grant of permission was to undertake a role as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer.
What is the study in the UK requirement for Graduate route visa UK?
The applicant must have studied in the UK for a minimum period of thecourse for which they were last granted permission to study on the Student route (the relevant period), as in the table below:
|Total Length Of Course
||Relevant period of Student permission granted during whichall study tookplace inthe UK(apartfrompermitted study abroad programmes)
|12 months orless
||Full duration of course
|Longer than 12 months
||At least 12 months
Where distance learning took place overseas between 24 January 2020 and 27 September 2021, this will not prevent the applicant meeting the requirement to spend the relevant period of studying in the UK if:
- they began their course in 2020 and entered the UK on or before 21 June 2021and complete that course of study in the UK with permission as a Student; or
- they began their course in 2021 and entered the UK before 27 September 2021 and complete that course of study in the UK with permission as a Student.
Any period of distance learning between 24 January 2020 and 27 September 2021 as part of a course of study lasting longer than 12 months whilst the applicant held permission as a Student, will not prevent the applicant from meeting the requirement to spend the relevant period of studying in the UK.
For how long will I be granted Graduate route visa?
The applicant will be granted the period of permission as set out in the table below dependent on how they met the qualification requirement:
|Type of Qualification
||Period Granted From Date Of Decision
|PhD or other doctoral qualification
|All other qualifications
What are the conditions of grant of Graduate route visa?
The grant will be subject to all the following conditions:
- no access to public funds; and
- work (including self-employment and voluntary work) is permitted, apart from work as a professional sportsperson; and
- study is permitted, except study with an education provider which is a Student sponsor, and which would meet the approved qualification and level of study requirements of the Student route which are set out in Appendix Student; and
- study is subject to the ATAS condition in Appendix ATAS; and
- if Part 10 applies the person will be required to register with the police.
Can I apply for Graduate route visa through Super Priority Service to get decision within 24 hours?
You can apply for switching into Graduate route visa using Super Priority Service whereby decision on your application will be made by the Home Office UKVI within 24 hours of the enrolment of biometrics at a UKVCAS service centre.
Our immigration solicitors can prepare and submit your application to the Home Office, UKVI through Super Priority Service (SPS) and get decision on your immigration application within 24 hours. This way, you will not have to wait for the decision on your application for months.