Short Term Study Visa UK

You can apply for a Short-term study visa for studying English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months. You can stay in the UK for the length of your course plus an extra 30 days as long as your stay is no longer than 11 months.

Eligibility Requirements For Short-Term Study Visa UK

You should meet the following eligibility requirements to be granted short-term study visa to study an English language course in the UK:

  • You must be 16 or older to apply.
  • You must have been accepted onto an English language course that lasts 11 months or less and includes no other subjects
  • Your course must be with an accredited institution
  • You must have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • You must be able to pay for your return or onward journey
  • If you are under 18 you must also:
    • have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
    • have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK

Course Requirement

Your English language course must be with an ‘accredited institution’. The institution of study can be either:

  • an accredited UK institution
  • an eligible overseas provider, if you’re studying in the UK as part of an overseas course

Accredited UK Institutions

An accredited institution must either have a student sponsor licence or have a valid accreditation and be listed by one of the following:

Eligible Overseas Providers

You can also apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your English language course is in the UK.

Your institution must:

  • hold its own national accreditation
  • offer no more than half of its educational programme in the UK
  • offer programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree

Documents To Apply For Short-Term Study Visa UK

When you apply for short term study visa for UK, you must provide:

  • a current passport (with a blank page for your visa) or other valid travel document
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • evidence that you’ve paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them

You also need to provide:

Documents About Your Course

You must provide written proof of the course you are going to study. For example, a letter of acceptance from the educational institution stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your:

  • permission to be in the country you are applying from (if you’re not a national)
  • financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

If You Are Under 18

If you are under 18, you need to provide additional documents if:

  • you are travelling on your own
  • you are travelling with someone who is not your parent or guardian

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone 18 or older). However, you must have written consent from both parents (or one parent if they have sole responsibility) or your legal guardian. This must confirm they consent to:

  • your visa application
  • your living arrangements and care in the UK
  • your travel to the UK

They also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • an address where you will be living
  • details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

Your parent, guardian or school must tell the relevant local authority about your visit if either of the following are true:

  • you are under 18 and have a disability
  • you are going to be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’)

You should provide a reply from the local authority if you have one.

Travelling With An Adult

If you travel to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or older), you need to identify them in your visa application. Their name will appear on your visa, and you will be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them. You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them. The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

How To Apply For Short Term Study Visa?

You must apply online for short term study visa before you come to the UK. The earliest you can apply for short term study visa is 3 months before you travel to the UK. As part of your online application, you will need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to provide your documents and prove your identity.

How Long It Takes To Get A Decision?

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision within 3 weeks. You may be able to pay to get a faster decision. Check if your visa application centre offers faster decisions and other services.

How Can We Help?

Our expert team of student visa solicitors specialise in UK student visa entry clearance applications. If instructed to represent you regarding your application for short-term study visa for UK, we will carry out all the work on your entry clearance application until a decision is made by the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) on your short-term study visa application. The immigration casework to be carried out by our expert team of student visa solicitors will include the following:

  • Assessing your eligibility for short-term study visa for UK by considering all the relevant information and evidence;
  • Advising you on the weaknesses and strengths of your short-term study visa application;
  • Advising you on the relevant documents to be submitted in support of your short-term study visa application;
  • Assessing your documents to ensure that the documentary evidence is as per requirements of the Home Office UKVI immigration Rules;
  • Completing and submitting the online application form to apply for short-term study visa by gathering all the relevant information from you;
  • Helping you with paying the short-term study visa application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) for the application;
  • Where necessary, preparing detailed witness statement of the applicant explaining how the applicant is a genuine student and other relevant factors pertaining to the short-term study visa application;
  • Preparing a detailed cover letter to introduce and support your short-term study visa application explaining in detail how you satisfy all the relevant requirements of the Immigration Rules for the grant of short-term study visa;
  • Uploading online all the relevant supporting documents and scheduling an appointment for submission of passport and enrolment of your biometrics;
  • Liaising with the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) for a timely decision on your short-term study visa application.

Our Fees For Short-Term Study Visa

Unless your matter is extremely complicated, our fixed fees for short-term study visa application from outside the UK are as given in the fee table below:

Our Service Our Fee
Full service for short-term study visa application to cover all the work until decision by the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) From £1,000 To £1,500 (no VAT)

The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the short-term study visa application and the volume of casework involved in the application. In addition to our fixed fee for short-term study visa application, the applicant will also have to pay the Home office UKVI fees for the entry clearance application.

Other Related Services